IMPORTANT: Changes To Dental Blue® Discounts
Due to the recent passage of California Assembly Bill No. 2275, Anthem Blue Cross is required to make some changes to their Dental Blue plans:
- They will no longer be allowed to provide discounts on non-covered services beginning on January 1, 2011.
- EOCs that are issued, amended or renewed on or after July 1, 2011 must include a statement that if members opt to receive dental services that are not covered services under their policy, a participating provider may charge his or her usual and customary rate for those services - and dentists should provide the member with a treatment plan including estimated costs before they are performed. The statement will also include a phone number for the member to call if they need more information about their dental coverage options.
Also, part of the bill includes a provision that dentists cannot charge more than their usual and customary rate for dental services not covered under a dental plan.
Despite these changes, members can still receive discounts for covered services:
- Received during a waiting period (if applicable)
- After the member has reached their annual maximum
- If frequency limitations have been exceeded for a covered service. For instance, if a dental plan covers two cleanings a year and the member wishes to have a third cleaning, they would receive negotiated rates for the third cleaning.
Dental Blue groups and individual Dental Blue plan members will be sent a letter in December notifying them of the changes.
Please note that this change does not affect Anthem's Prudent Buyer or Dental Net dental plans.