← Back to News & Updates
Language Assistance Program Implemented in California
Mar 31, 2009
Delta Dental has launched a program to provide specific language assistance services to Delta Dental's fee-for-service enrollees in California-based groups and our DeltaCare®
USA enrollees in California who have limited proficiency in English. The program fulfills new regulatory requirements in California and supplements Delta Dental's efforts to more effectively market their programs to Hispanics and other underserved populations.
Major components of the program include:
- Assessing the language and cultural needs of Delta Dental's enrollees;
- Providing interpreter services in Delta Dental's Contact Centers to help enrollees if they have problems understanding their materials or communicating with their dentist;
- Translating documents with important plan information into Spanish and Chinese (languages with the highest enrollee population) — enrollees can obtain copies of these documents through Delta Dental's Contact Center;
- Training Delta Dental staff to work effectively with enrollees who have limited proficiency in English and
- Updating online provider directories with dental office language capabilities.
What are the benefits?
The new program is expected to improve enrollee and dentist satisfaction and will allow Delta Dental to better serve their enrollees and groups by helping people with limited proficiency in English do the following:
- Better understand their benefits and the information they receive from Delta Dental
- Choose a dentist who speaks their language
- Make better decisions by understanding dental information and any financial implications
Full implementation of the program began on January 1, 2009.