← Back to News & Updates
SB853 Language Assistance Program Update
Feb 18, 2009
In Anthem Blue Cross' ongoing compliance with SB853, starting February 2009, each individual, small group subscriber, large group subscriber, and national subscriber with DMHC products in California, will be called by a third-party vendor to confirm their spoken and written language preferences. Each individual, small group subscriber, large group subscriber, and national subscriber with CDI products will be called starting in March 2009 (the exact date in March is still to be determined and we will be notified of the start date as soon as possible).
The third-party vendor will be provided with:
The calls will consist of the following:
- Membership data in a text file format
- A script which will include the notification and four survey questions (language preferences (spoken and written), race and ethnicity) *Please refer to the attached Language Assistance Program Update provided to customer-facing employees for more details about this program and the script.
- Voicing of calls will be in English, Spanish, Chinese, Tagalog, Korean and Vietnamese
- The script will contain approximately 7 prompts
- Estimated call length with interaction will be 1 - 1 1/2 minutes
- No more than 2 attempts will be made per member
- There will be no transfer to attendant functionality
- Calls will be placed between 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. PST
- Vendor will perform an address look up for any missing or incorrect phone numbers
All responses will be tracked and a file containing those responses will be uploaded into WellPoint membership systems.
Also in March 2009, a mailing will be sent to all members who had an incorrect or missing phone number. A sample of the mailing will be provided to you as soon as it becomes available. Members with failed attempts will be receiving the mailer as well.
If you have any further questions, contact
your B&P representative.