← Back to News & Updates
Specialty Medication Fulfillment is Transitioning
Feb 18, 2009
Specialty medications currently dispensed through Aetna Rx Home Delivery®
will be dispensed through Aetna Specialty Pharmacy®
as of January 1, 2009. This change is taking place to serve members better. This change was initiated as part of a clinical drug evaluation to appropriately distribute these products and serve members better.
Aetna Specialty Pharmacy offers members an individual care plan and the support of a health care team.
This team includes:
- Patient care coordinators.
- Registered nurses and pharmacists on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Insurance specialists.
- Claims specialists.
- Aetna Specialty Pharmacy's standard is to dispense a 30-day supply of most medications and a 90-day supply of transplant medications.
Aetna Specialty Pharmacy can dispense only the amount that the member's benefits plan allows. Some members who do not require transplant medications may be used to receiving a 90-day supply, which is standard at Aetna Rx Home Delivery. For these members, the amount of medication they receive may change.
A smaller supply lets Aetna Specialty Pharmacy:
- Check members' progress more often.
- Adjust dosage or change medication if therapy needs change between refills.
- Prevent wasted product and potentially save money for the plan sponsor and member.
Aetna Specialty Pharmacy offers an Active Refill service
Through this service, members are proactively contacted seven days before their next refill to check their compliance and schedule their delivery.
During each refill call, members are asked to confirm:
- If they are still taking the same specialty drug.
- How they are doing with their therapy.
- If they are still taking the same dose.
- If they are having any side effects.
- Where they would like their next refill delivered.
Aetna Specialty Pharmacy offers many more benefits, including:
- Ongoing compliance monitoring.
- Self-injection training/education.
- Coordination of home nursing care, if needed.
- Coordination with the member's doctor to check that they are on the right therapy and have the medications and supplies they need.
- Free, confidential, convenient delivery within 48 hours of confirming each order.
- Unique Critical Package Recovery Program to track each package and provide safe, fast delivery.
- Active Refill Service to confirm compliance and medication needs and to schedule the next delivery.
- Refrigerated, temperature-controlled packaging to ensure drug stability.
- Flexible payment of out-of-pocket costs, when necessary.
- Free standard supplies for self-injectables, including needles, syringes, alcohol swabs, adhesive bandages and sharps containers.
- Free educational materials.
For more information, please contact
your B&P representative.