Out-of-state (OOS) groups may be eligible to be written with some of carriers if they meet certain requirements.
- Medical: Aetna, Covered CA for Small Business, Kaiser Permanente (CA employees only), UnitedHealthcare
- Ancillary: Delta, Guardian, MetLife, Principal, VSP
Medical OOS Details
- Can write OOS groups but broker must be licensed and appointed in individual state and with Aetna. Quoted by Aetna Sales Rep.
Covered California for Small Business
- Can write OOS groups if principal location address is listed as California (requires approval from CCSB).
- Can cover only the California employees and will not treat the group as a location carve out. Not allowed with any other carriers.
- Group can be written with California rates and benefits if there is no clear majority enrolling in any one state. Not eligible
Anthem Blue Cross, CaliforniaChoice, Cigna + Oscar, and Health Net will not write OOS groups.
Ancillary OOS Details
- Delta Dental: Must have one California Officer and the group must be headquartered in California.
- Guardian: Can write OOS groups, contact B&P.
- MetLife: Can write OOS groups, contact B&P.
- Principal: Can write OOS groups, contact B&P.
- VSP: Can write OOS groups. Group is rated based on where they are headquartered.
All other carrier with ancillary lines of coverage will follow their medical rules.
Please contact a member of your B&P Sales Team if you have any questions regarding Out-of-State groups.