The Health Care Security Ordinance (HCSO) is a San Francisco law that:
Under the HCSO, all covered employers must meet the following obligations:
- Satisfy the Employer Spending Requirement (ESR) by calculating and making required health care expenditures on behalf of all covered employees.
- Maintain records sufficient to establish compliance with the ESR.
- Post an HCSO Notice in all workplaces with covered employees.
- Submit an HCSO Annual Reporting Form to the OLSE by April 30th of each year.
Employers choose how to make the required Health Care Expenditures for their covered employees. Common Health Care Expenditures include:
- Payments for health, dental, and/or vision insurance;
- Payments to the City Option;
- Contributions to programs that reimburse the employees for out-of-pocket health care costs, subject to the limitations described in Administrative Guidance Section F.
To learn more about HCSO and a covered employer's obligations, use the links below:
Please email [email protected]
or call 415.554.7892 with any questions regarding employer rights and responsibilities under the San Francisco HCSO.