Senate Bill 78 requires an individual who is a California resident to ensure that the individual, and any spouse or dependent of the individual, is enrolled in and maintains minimum essential coverage for each month beginning on and after January 1, 2020.
CaliforniaChoice® will allow a “Special Enrollment” period for employees that previously waived/declined coverage in 2019.
Senate Bill 78 “Special Enrollment” Criteria:
- The “Special Enrollment” period is available December 01, 2019 through January 31, 2020 for enrollment effective January 1, 2020.
- The employer (Plan Administrator) must request the “Special Enrollment”.
- Only employees and/or their dependents who previously waived/declined 2019 coverage for a reason other than “other group coverage” will be allowed to enroll during this “Special Enrollment” period.
- Employers that request to participate in the “Special Enrollment” attest that their submitted employees are eligible, based on the criteria outlined above.
- The employer must submit the following:
- A request for “special enrollment”
- Employee Enrollment Application with “SB 78” written across the TOP of the form
- Ancillary coverage options are included in this “Special Enrollment” if the employer elected to offer these plans to its employees in 2019. Ancillary only enrollment during this “special enrollment” period is not allowed.
- To request “Special Enrollment” and obtain employee enrollment worksheets contact our Customer Service Center at 800.558.8003, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
For questions, please contact a member of your B&P Sales Team - 888.722.3373.