UnitedHealthcare is providing its fully-insured employer customers with a Special COVID-19 Dental and Vision Enrollment Opportunity (“Special Enrollment Opportunity”) to enroll employees who previously did not enroll in Dental and/or Vision coverage. The one-time opportunity will be limited to those employees who previously waived coverage or did not elect coverage for themselves or their dependents (e.g., spouses or children). See Notice of Special COVID-19 Dental and Vision Enrollment Opportunity document for details: (Notice), (Notice NY-only)
- The enrollment opportunity will extend from May 18, 2020 through May 29, 2020. Effective date is June 1.
- Customers are not required to adopt the Special Enrollment Opportunity. Because of this, no opt out action is required on their behalf. UnitedHealthcare realizes each situation is unique, and each customer should make their own decisions on the enrollment opportunity.
- Dependents, such as spouses and children, can be added if they are enrolled in the same coverage or benefit option as the employee.
- Existing eligibility, underwriting and state guidelines apply.
- UHC recommends that customers speak with their benefits counsel or tax advisor for more information as to any customer impacts.
To take advantage of this Special Enrollment Period, brokers, consultants and/or customers should follow these steps:
- Review the Notice of Special COVID-19 Dental and Vision Enrollment Opportunity. (Notice), (Notice NY-only)
- Enrollment updates can be submitted via Employer eServices with a June 1, 2020 effective date.
- Member enrollments can also be made via your regular channels if eServices is not used, which may include the Client Services Operations (CSO) team, GA Service Inbox, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) feed, maintenance eligibility file via a Third Party Administrator (TPA), all with a June 1, 2020 effective date.
- For brokers, consultants and employers who wish to use enrollment forms:
- Ensure the enrollment form indicates “Special Enrollment COVID-19” for the qualifying event reason on the form.
- Include a signature date on the enrollment form that is within the time period of the Special Enrollment Period.
- Be sure to use the June 1, 2020 effective date.
For questions, please contact a member of your B&P Sales Team - 888.722.3373.